Ickcillint

I doubt I have shared with many of you the origin of the word, 'ickcillint' in the blog title.  It came about as a result of my studies in New Zealand.  My PhD professor, Dr. Kate van Heughten, from the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand inspired the word! When giving feedback on my thesis, she would kindly say to me, "Ickcillint work, Windy, ickcillint." (the english word, 'excellent' adjusted phonetically to a Kiwi accent). I just loved the way she said it. Using the word in our blog title is Bill's and my way of continuing our connection to New Zealand.

As Kate and I have maintained a relationship since my defense and graduation, she has been reading our blog.  She was unaware that she was the inspirator for the title of blog until she wrote to me the following:

“Ickcillint” has by now probably acquired a new meaning in the English language across the globe (a mixture of hope, excitement, anticipation, frustration, disbelief, irony …).
 
It was only then that I informed her of her role in the blog title and let her know that I couldn't agree  more with her definintion of the word.  Ickcillint has taken on new meanings.  I could add a few nouns and verbs to the definition myself 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saari

My work

Knuckles Range