Scabies


Yes, I have scabies, but, kindly, I shared them with Bill. Finally, after seeing three doctors, I was referred to a dermatologist who, after taking my history and examining my spots, opined the spots were "consistent with scabies." Scabies are a parasitic eight legged mite that have burrowed into our skin and cause intense itching.


For a little slide show of the creatures and the spots, go to: http://www.medicinenet.com/scabies_pictures_slideshow/article.htm



My husband was, by now, also tearing off his skin, so the dermatologist offered to treat both of us with a cream called, Permethrin. I felt the dermatologist inclusion of treatment for Bill was highly unfair. First, he wasn't even there and secondly, that he should receive prompt and immediate treatment, when I had endured the parasitic burrowing for nearly six weeks before receiving treatment. 

Bill, his conscience undisturbed by the inequality of the situation, grabbed at his prescription cream and liberally applied.

Instructions for Treatment:
1. Shower
2. Vigorously rub in cream from the nape of the neck to the soles of the feet
3.  Stay violently itchy all evening aggravated by slippery cream applied to every crack and crevice
4.  Go to bed and leave on for at least twelve hours (so, 6pm application)
5. Attempt to sleep (Scabies are itchiest at night)
6. In the morning, shower off the cream
7. Change all bedding; wash all clothing to remove mites, eggs and feces (all microscopic)
8. Do laundry all day – (Bill)
9. Be violently itchy all day.... Mites are aggravated by the treatment, so are being tortured below the dermis of our skin
10. Endure further outbreaks of spots
11. Conditions expected to improve by one week
12. Failure to produce immediate relief is not indicative of repeating treatment.
13. If symptoms persist after one week, consult your doctor.

All dogs here in Sri Lanka have scabies. Most dogs live their entire miserable lives being driven mad by the itch. The result: no hair, bleeding and a leathery hide. Hideous. I am grateful I am not a dog.

My friend, Marlene, says my luck has run out and it is time to come home.  Perhaps she is right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saari

My work

Knuckles Range