Ladies Only


One day a week, on Thursdays and for three hours, the Security Forces Swimming Pool is open for ladies. Ladies are not allowed to swim at any other times.
Pool time: 3-6:00 pm.
Cost: 200 Rupees
So, on Thursdays, us VSO ladies hustle home from work, grab our Speedos and swim goggles and head to 2nd Cross Street where the pool is embedded in the grounds of St. John's College. The ticket man serves as security guard so no men can enter the compound and a female lifeguard attired in a Sari or a Shalwaar keeps us safe from drowning; guarding us from her deck chair as we swim our laps. There is usually just two or three of us ladies in the pool.
When I was about ten and my brother Glenn, eleven, we earned our Mile Swim Award. We patiently swam all 64 lengths of the 25 metre McDonald Pool to earn a square bright green Mile Swim Aware badge. I still possess this badge which is stored in an old clear plastic Tupperware container with all my other swim badges and awards. The badge seemed a great accomplishment.
After that, I swam competitively for many years and went on to train as a lifeguard. Swimming a mile became a routine part of my life for many years. However, as I aged, my skin became less tolerant to chlorinated water and effectively, I abandoned swimming, other than the odd plunge into Kamloops Lake on a blistering hot day and for some minimalist training for the swim portion of the Cyswogan, a triathlon with which I have been known to punish myself with on August long weekends in Nelson, BC.
However, on Thursday evenings, I swim a mile again. Not for a badge, not for competition, not for work, not for training. I swim. I just swim... back and forth... 1, 2, 3... arms reaching, hands pulling, legs gently kicking ... 35, 36, 37 ... breathe left, breathe right, breathe left, breath right ... 49, 50, 51 ... touch, turn, pull, kick ... 52 ... touch, turn, pull, kick ... 53, touch, turn pull kick. Easy, unhurried, strong ... 56, 57, 58 ... a body memory, a meditation ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64.
Back float. Gauzy clouds shift across a teal blue sky, dusk gathers.

Comments

  1. Lovely Wendy. So true, a body memory, a meditation. We are lucky that swimming gives us this gift. I am glad you have it with you in SL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saari

My work

Knuckles Range