Jaffna

It's official. We are moving to Jaffna!

We have a measly week and a day to pack up our belongings, tie up loose ends at work (several dangle at the moment), and say goodbye to those who befriended us here in Nuwara Eliya.

It is all moving very quickly. We are scheduled to move from Nuwara Eliya (the coldest climate in Sri Lanka) to Jaffna (the hottest climate in Sri Lanka) on October 19th (penance, on earth)? Well, actually, before we go to Jaffna, we have 2.5 weeks of Tamil language training in Colombo before moving north on November 2nd.

I will work in Jaffna at the hospitals (job description unclear at this time), but VSO and the partner organization, Shanthiham, built in flexibility thus allowing me to continue supporting the post graduate diploma in social work program (for which I have begun to write the curriculum). So, am getting both jobs instead of having to make choices about which to take.

I am feeling a bit sad to leave behind our little house nestled up against the lush green beauty of the Pedro tea estate. I am feeling a bit nostalgic about the months and months of long cold nights we spend bundled up against the cold. I know I will dearly miss my work and my work colleagues. I will miss my Sinhala lessons as I turn to the Tamil language and a new teacher. I will miss the Grand Hotel restaurant where I devoured their Spicy Caribbean Fish dinner once a week. I will miss the Boathouse that served the best Sri Lankan rice and curry. I will miss my motorbike ride around the lake on my way to work, despite the cold, pouring rain that soaked me each day.

Bill too, was emphatic about his feelings, " Let's blow this popsicle stand". He is trembling with excitement to get to the Jaffna heat and to that end, is packing with uncharacteristic enthusiasm and speed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saari

My work

Knuckles Range