Billy, the Delusional Gem Miner



Over the past two months, I lead fifteen nurses through a Nursing in Mental Health Certificate Course. This course involved the class learning about the biopsychosocial aetiology of mental illness, the diagnostic criteria of mental health disorders, understanding psychotropic medication and some side effects, learning how to conduct a psychosocial assessment, how to conduct a suicide risk assessment, learning about substance abuse work and other critical trainings in mental health. One other assessment tool taught to the class was the Mental Status Exam.
As luck would have it, on the day I was to present this skill to the class, a foreign man presented to our hospital in Nuwara Eliya, badly in need of a mental health assessment. Therefore, in the interest of education, I assessed this patient in front of the class. As part of their training, the class then had to complete the mental status exam form and discuss the apparent symptoms of the man and what they had assessed from the man's interview. The class had some concerns from an ethical point of view, but I reassured them that this was procedural in terms of higher learning. I also arranged to have this interview filmed for education purposes. I found the man's resemblance to my husband remarkable.
Click on video link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL4-yiV75OQ



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saari

My work

Knuckles Range